Thursday, June 19, 2014

ON BEING FEARLESS

As a child you could not keep on the ground. I had this overwhelming urge to climb everything in sight, be it trees, rocks, play gyms, stop signs, if it protruded vertically, there was a very high chance I would be mentally working out how I could get to the top of it. At my sister's soccer games I would climb trees all the way to the top, at school I showed off my prowess on the monkey bars and hanging rings, swinging around on them and then climbing to sit on top, I guess I thought myself a little daredevil.
We treat children as these inferior beings, ones that don't have the capacity to make sound decisions or offer good opinion and yet we are the ones that often have a hard time enjoying our lives. Our predisposition to be cautious, to being safe limits so many opportunities and so often it seems that those who play by the rule get left behind. The children, their naivety allows them to run wild, dreaming of the endless possibilities of where their lives could lead them and enjoying each and every day. They may not have have the burden of everyday responsibilities nor are they usually have other little lives depending on them but they do have this sense of fearlessness about them, believing they can do anything. I have a few little siblings ranging from three to ten years younger then me and from watching them grow up I have learned one huge thing, instead of explaining why you cannot do something, figure out at least one way that you possibly can.

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment