Tuesday, October 07, 2014

DISPERSED


Two years ago, H and I were driving back from Toronto after doing the big boyfriend introduction to my fathers side of the family over thanksgiving weekend. Two years ago I was living pretty care-fre,e studying at university, partying with my girlfriends, caring for my cat. If you had asked me two years ago where I thought my life would be, I definitely would not have guessed here.

Fast forward to now, Toronto is a few countries and the Atlantic ocean away, university is but a distance memory while my books collect dust in storage, my girlfriends all live in different cities (seriously, I think the most I have is two in any city) and my cat is enjoying his new family with my old roommate and the rest of the clan (one human, three feline) who took up residence in my old place. I guess as you grow up you leave pieces of yourself everywhere you go, within everyone you meet and it is incredible to see how far you can reach as everything keeps changing around you.

Last week a friend from university came to visit, it had been a year and half since we had seen each other (not counting skype) but our relationship felt the same. We went sightseeing, discussed art, drank wine, gossiped and of course, talked about boys but we also talked about life, passions, careers and starting a family (I got a headstart in that department). All the things that seemed so far away while we in school are now suddenly upon us, almost as if adulthood snuck up on us while we weren't paying attention but while we both have had our struggles we both seem to realize that the secret to adulthood is not to actually feel like a grown-up but rather to keep figuring it out each day. My friends all have different lives now, different cities, different jobs and maybe we will lose touch but we will all carry a piece of each other wherever we go and (thanks largely to social media) we can watch ourselves be dispersed far and wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment