Wednesday, February 18, 2015

THE SIMPLE LIFE: SLOWING DOWN

(Like my new plant? It's a Hoya Linearis, fingers crossed I don't kill it)

I have had my next "The Simple Life" post sitting in my drafts for months now, I wrote out most of it and then saved it and kept coming back to it to tweak but it never sat right. It was about single-tasking but I realized that single-tasking is only part of the idea that I was trying to convey. I want to talk about slowing down, and the importance of slow. Apparently there is a  whole movement behind this way of thinking, which I discovered as I was looking into pre-school programs for Bean. So what does it mean to slow down? Part of it is single-tasking, and prioritizing the important tasks while cutting out the superfluous once. Part of it is just generally being more efficient and effective with your time. Most of all however, I think it means really being present in whatever it is you are doing, giving each individual thing (task, person, moment,,,etc) your complete and undivided attention and as a result you will have a much more positive (and productive) experience.

Okay, well that all sounds well and good but how the heck are we supposed to apply that to real life? On a daily basis I have to keep the house clean, plan meals, run errands, exercise, keep track of everyone's lives, plan for my future etc, while also keeping a small human being alive and happy. As a parent there is only so much "slow" that is possible I think but it is possible to decelerate on a day to day basis. Below I have mentioned a few of the things that have worked for me and my lifestyle.

one. Write it down!
I live in my head, I take on mountains of responsibility and then get super overwhelmed when I feel like I have to keep track of everything. So I write it down, whether it is my grocery list, my plans for the week, my story ideas or just those little thoughts that I can't seem to get out of my brain. If I can remove a few of the items that are racing through my brain and put them on paper it really helps me re-focus myself and re-establish my sanity.

two. Yoga
I have been doing yoga consistently since the beginning of the new year, I've rarely missed more than a day or two and I have noticed a difference in myself. In yoga you don't get to go fast, if you want to have an effective practice you need to accept stillness in order to focus on your breath. This stillness has really helped me slow down, so much so that even when I am off the mat I have become more aware of my breath during the day and have been able to take that moment to remember to savor that experience. Checking in with my breath has made me enjoy the mundane so much more, and helped me appreciate each second that I am here.

three. Playing with Bean
Of course I have to put this one in here, and I think this is something every parent should do; just take some time in your day to really focus on your child. I know lives get busy, and I am lucky enough to be at home all day with son but I cannot stress enough the importance of checking in with your kid. Bean likes to play on his own, probably because he doesn't see other kids much, so usually I can get my stuff done while he is banging his blocks or rolling around with his teddy bear. I feel guilty when I am not paying attention to him every second but I also know I have things I need to get done too so I really try to put aside a chunk of my day to lie on the carpet and play with him, or watch him play and see what new things he is doing and learning. I think slowing down is especially important with kids because they change so quickly, and while they might be in a difficult stage (ie. angsty teen phase) each moment that passes is them getting older and changing and now I am rambling but what I am trying to say is appreciate your time with them. This also doesn't have to be just kids, it can be anyone you care about, parents, friends, siblings, partners, pets...anyone. Just slow down and appreciate having these people in your life.

Okay, sorry I got a little emotional there so here is just one last thing to finish this off. Slowing down is hard, the world we live in so fast paced and there is such a huge focus on instant gratification which I definitely fall into. But when I do remember to slow down, my experience is so much better, like infinitely better so that little extra effort to remember is worth the while.

No comments:

Post a Comment